What is Data Capture?
Data capture is the process of collecting data from paper or image format documents. Data is typically collected in field formats and stored in a database. The purpose of data capture is to replace the manual entry of documents and expedite the process by utilizing computer-processing power.
The Steps in Data Capture Includes:
- Input of image files, document
- Location of fields
- Extraction of data in those fields
- Quality checking of the extracted data
- Export of the data in a desired format
2 Types of Data Capture
- Fixed Forms Processing
- Semi-Structured Forms Processing
There is some overlap between these two types, but the primary difference lies in the setup and configuration of the system. Fixed forms processing uses static coordinates on an image to find fields, while semi-structured forms processing uses relative coordinates and context.